World Affairs Seminar: Peace Through Understanding

                                                  Courtesy of World Affairs Seminar




This summer I had the opportunity to spend a whole week dedicated to discussing world issues as one of the hundreds of students chosen as delegates from around the world. The World Affairs Seminar is the vision of Rotarian Dr. Dale Brock, whose visit was to bring about better understanding of world problems among a select group of young people from around the globe. He imagined and built WAS to study current issues. In the course of this study, the WAS provides opportunities for participants to discuss issues with other young people from around the world. Emphasis is on promoting better understanding of the idea that if the cause are understood, problems are more likely to be solved peacefully.

The World Affairs Seminar (WAS) is a unique interactive educational program for high school students. The week-long experience provides an opportunity for international students from a variety of backgrounds to discuss issues in a non-threatening environment. They experience new and different ideas and viewpoints brought forward both by their colleagues and by world renowned experts. In small and large groups students discuss information and ideas and put their new knowledge to use. Through public policy simulations they work through the complex interactions of different countries, corporations and organizations to develop their own policy initiative. The university (Carroll University) setting provides a college-like experience, including use of the residence halls and campus dining. Throughout the week students have time for recreational activities which bring greater awareness and understanding of the world around them. Critical thinking about new friends from around the world are all part of this incredible experience.

Since WAS first accepted students in 1972, over 27,000 future world leaders have participated. Many have stayed in touch with the friends they made at WAS, forming business relationships, political contacts and family friendships.

The best thing about being a delegate at WAS is you get to meet many young people around the world who share the same aspirations and goal you want to achieve. Not only that, but you learn about new cultures of your fellow delegates. On my first day I met three Burundian delegates who were just bursting with energy, which was surprisingly the topic this year. We all clicked right away just because we were African and we had so much to learn from each other. I've always felt like I would never feel comfortable communicating with people from my age group, but unknowingly I was. What I realized from this experience is that I need to surround myself with people who have the same interests as me. Just like the saying, "surround yourself with those who are on the same mission as you."

  I was really amazed of all the knowledge I gained from this experience and how respectful everyone were towards each other. In every meal someone will always offer you to sit with them or asked to sit with you. I met the most kindest people in the world. Everyone were separated into groups and so if you met someone from a different group, you wouldn't see that person again until its time to have meals, recreation time or within the residence halls. I've always been disliked for talking politically to others but at WAS I met a group of girls who've I've discussed everything with them from local, national issues and even politics. And so it was just a great opportunity to be open to other people's perspectives.

I've always been very supportive of the environment, but WAS really opened me up with new knowledge of some of the current environmental issues especially energy conservation. We had many experts come in from different corporations and organizations such as Johnson Controls, WE Energy and the Urban Ecology Center. The lectures were about three hours long 2-3 times a day. I learned so much from them and was inspired to put what I learned to action. Some of the things I learned was that in most third-world countries such as those located in Africa have an abundant amount of sunlight that really could be benefited by using them on solar panels. Also, most African countries tend to cut down trees to cook food. An alternative we learned at WAS was to use solar powered oven or stoves. With such amount of sun light, it can be done. We also learned various of types of energy especially renewable energy and how we could contribute them into our daily lives.

Just from those lectures, a light bulb lit up my brain and so I had an amazing idea that I'm currently trying to put to work. As an activist, of course this is aimed for humanitarian relief and bringing change in people's lives. Please stay tuned and find out what I'm up to.





These are some photos of people I've met and admired including a photo of the corporate office of Johnson Control, which was my field trip choice.
Chadia, a friend I met from Burundi, Africa.

Jess, also from Burundi.

Autumn, my friend Emily's roommate.

Johnson Controls corporate office in Milwaukee, WI.






























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Young Voices of Milwaukee

Black Boxes Reportedly Found In The Disappearance Of AirAsia Flight 8501

Suspects Identified On French Newspaper Attack