The Young Voices of Milwaukee

Two weeks ago I decided to be a part of a youth led organization called Urban Undergrounds. A friend of mine told me to check it out last year and thought that it would be a perfect way for me to start as a young passionate person who is committed to make a change within our community. The organization brings together young people between the ages of 14 to 18 who want to make a change within the community in terms of violence, poverty, health, criminal justice and education.
According to Urban Underground's website the purpose of creating such organization is because," very often communities will convene stakeholders to explore and address issues impacting youth without ever consulting or engaging them. Although young people are often told that they are "the future" they are treated as if their ideas, creativity, and influence have no relevancy to the present. Urban Underground believes that every issue is a youth issue and their voice and leadership is critical to solving them." They believe that leadership is more than just talk, but also something that should be done. The first day I stepped my feet into the door was a memorable day. 

The staff at the from desk were all youth volunteers who conducted everything from interviews to office management. I've never seen any institution or administration who actually allow students to take charge in such prodigious tasks. These students not only are good at what they do, but they are one of the kindest people you'll ever meet. That first day I met them, I already connected right away. I could talk to them about issues that mattered to me without feeling like I was boring people with things that they had no interest in talking about, because that's the point of the organization. Bringing together youths who will discuss about important issues. Our first meeting consisted of young girls between the ages of 14 to sixteen. We got to watch a short clip on the many things Urban Underground does and discussed about it. There were also current members in attendance to tell us about their experience and impact on Urban Underground. This got me and the rest of the girls really pumped up about being able to experience it ourselves! 

And finally, I received an acceptance email last Friday confirming that I would soon join the many young voices of Milwaukee in bettering our "Cream city" to establish a better community for the youngsters who thrive in it. I thank all the people in the admission process who were able to give me the chance to be a part of a crucial part of my life. For all young Milwaukeeans who believe that they can and have a passion for making improvements in their society should check out Urban Underground and see what you're missing!


















Maggie, Quick


Mapping Milwaukee for Teens

Urban Milwaukee

Neighborhood News Service

2013/08/20

http://urbanmilwaukee.com/2013/08/20/mapping-milwaukee-for-teens/


Center for Youth Engagement Inc.


2014
Visit them at http://www.urbanunderground.org/

Comments

  1. It was great meeting you, can't wait to see you again, and I hope we get to see each other during the year, and I hope you stick to being a U2 member

    -Sincerely a 3rd year member

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww thank you! I hope to work with you guys in the future as well. You were all so sweet and welcoming and I like to be in an environment like that. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Suspects Identified On French Newspaper Attack

Black Boxes Reportedly Found In The Disappearance Of AirAsia Flight 8501